Thursday 1 December 2011

Breaking out of the mainstream

When everyone expects so much of you it’s hard to deliver when you’re trying to be different.
By Rachel Adams | 18th November 2011

It is common knowledge that London is renowned as the fashion capital of the UK; hosting the globally celebrated ‘London Fashion Week’ along with being the origin of the vast amount of magazines that many fashionista’s base their style around. These are only a few examples which demonstrate the important role London plays in our fashion world.
However, London is not the only city that holds such an influence over the fashion market. Liverpool is well known for its unique sense in style and has been previously labelled as ‘Best Dressed City’ by Gok Wan along with ‘Capital of Culture’ two years running.



It strives to be first to wear new styles and so caters to a unique taste that others will follow.
As a Liverpool born student living in London, you get the best of both worlds when it comes to fashion. My prediction for any future trends is always well verified in Liverpool as they are always one step ahead of the fashion game. It goes greatly in my advantage that I can bring these styles back to London with me and yet still be noticed as a Liverpool girl by the way I dress.
However this makes trying to find your own style hard work. Trying to fit in with the current styles and trends in both cities and still trying to have your own individual look can quite often come under the category of ’physically impossible.’ I believe the way you dress and your personal style reflects your personality; but this can be hard to achieve when you’re trying to live up to everyone’s expectations when you’re a fashion student.
But try as I might, I have never been able to afford designer wear that fulfil the profile of all these categories combined. Expensive chic clothing that both London and Liverpool would fall on their feet for; instead I use London to my advantage and visit the vintage market of Brick Lane. Here I can form my own sense of style that is accepted in both cities and can be described as ‘quirky,’ yet on trend. A pair of Levi high waisted shorts with a leather jacket, vintage head scarf with tights and boots is my way of not only rebelling against what people expect me to typically wear, but to also dress the way I want; summing up a mixture of London and Liverpool, modern with a unique twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment