Thursday 1 December 2011

Fashion Moment

Fashion Moment
Working in retail was something I had always loathed; being a tea-maker and running round under my boss’s orders was not a lifestyle choice for me anymore. Whilst working in Primark, I realised that it would take me years to make something of myself; and I decided it was time to do something about it. The day I received my A Level results, I rang up clearance and bagged myself a place on the Fashion course at London Metropolitan University. I always had a secret love for fashion and was good at dressing others but was never given the opportunity to better myself. Whilst living down in the Capital I begged and pleaded until someone would give me a job interview; that someone was Topshop.
During my interview I was asked to dress people for different occasions e.g. Weddings, Birthdays and I knew this was my chance to show I had the skills. A few days later, I received a call and I had the job. I couldn’t believe the quiet geeky girl from Liverpool had a job in Topshop whilst studying Fashion in London. I wasn’t always confident in the way I dressed and I shied away from wearing anything too different in case of any public attention. But as the weeks went on watching fashion experts at work; my confidence built and my style became more creative and outgoing. I started buying clothes I would never usually wear such as leather leggings, fitted dresses and oversized kimonos.
I soon got promoted up to personal stylist’s assistant, and was working with the most fashionable girls in London. This improved my work at University and I still couldn’t believe this was happening to me. Until one day at work, when I thought my luck couldn’t get any better, I had a ‘Fashion Moment.’ I was asked to assist one of the personal shopper’s while ultimate superstar BeyoncĂ© had a V.I.P shopping tour around Topshop. I remember thinking how beautiful she was but had to remain professional and try not to stare. She spent most of her time in the underwear section picking up pyjamas, vest tops and men’s Y fronts. She was so down to earth and it inspired me to just be who I am and not try to impress others; this was a moment in my life I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment